I am definitely one who likes to have everything in my home be unique and one of a kind. I was looking to fill one more wall in my bathroom. I came up with a solution utilizing items I had laying around the house. A vintage window with a broken pane out in my shed, scrap cedar boards laying around, and then there are the fabulous graphics from the Graphics Fairy.
We are snowed in today, so I got right to work on this project....Here is what I came up with....
Here is the step by step process in creating this piece...
1. Find an old window. Mine had a missing piece of glass, so I banged the other two out.
2. Sand off any lose paint. Spray a coat of polyurethane on the entire frame.
3. Use a chop saw to cut boards to size. I used cedar, but any kind of wood will do. Mine were approximately 7.5:x 8".
4. Choose a color to paint your boards. I chose I slate gray. I used one coat of paint because the paint I used covered well.
5. Next I distressed the boards on the face and the outer edges with my palm sander.(The color in the picture is much lighter than they actually are)
6.I went to the Graphics Fairy and printed out some images I liked.
7. I didn't have any modge podge laying around the house, so I made a glue and water mixture to adhere my pictures to the boards.
8. Apply the glue to the back of the print, then stick it on the board. Brush the glue across the top of the print and on the entire board to seal the photo and provide an even glazed appearance. Once this dries, spray or brush a coat of polyurethane on top for added protection and a finished look.
9. You will need some small hooks and closed hooks. I happened to have these laying around. The closed hook was screwed to the window and the open hook was screwed to the top of the board with art image.
10. Once this is done, your one of a kind wall art is complete.....
Tomorrow I will be sharing the bathroom makeover I have this wall art displayed in..
Linking up here:
Funky Junk Interiors
Be Different Act Normal
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
It's so Very Cheri
The DIY Club
The Graphics Fairy
Making The World Cuter
Between Naps on the Porch