Thursday, January 6, 2011

Girl's funky chic bedroom

About 2 1/2 years ago we re-did our daughter's bedroom from ceiling to floor. The entire room was gutted. A bead board ceiling was put up, new sheet rock, baseboard, trim, closet doors, window, and flooring. She was 7 years old at the time and we decorated it with a Paris chic theme. This WAS the room.



Even though she is only 10, she has been become acquainted with the very funky and colorful teen rooms seen on TV. She wanted a bit of a change, so I went with the flow and gave it to her. It was going to be a no cost change because I sold the old bedding and furniture which payed for the new bedding and furniture.

The new bedding is from Cynthia Rowley. You will see that I had a very vibrant color palette to work with.







The mirror was something I had purchased from TJ Maxx years ago. I gave it a coat of white paint and distressed it. The green umbrella was purchased at the flea market for $2. Both lamps came from Goodwill and were given new paint jobs. Total cost for both was $6. I embellished both lampshades with fabric I had. The side table was $2 and was painted aqua and given a chalkboard top. The orange chair was a Christmas present purchased at TJ Maxx. Tulle bed skirt was purchased on Etsy. The sign was made by me.


I am so proud to say that the vanity belonged to my great grandmother and my grandmother after that. I remember her sitting at this every morning to do her hair and makeup. Then she would sit at it every night to prepare for bed. For Christmas I surprised Samantha with it. I gave it a new paint job and added a vibrant skirt with bright trim. Sami is so proud and appreciative that this belongs to her.



A vintage tole pin embellishes the gauze curtains I purchased from Ikea.


A bulletin board I made for her holds her pictures and other fun objects. A blue chair sits in the corner and an armourer I painted gray holds her TV and crap all of her little girly stuff. The knobs were purchase from Bombay Kids years ago when they were still in business. I miss that store so much.




The photo frame was a $1 thrift store find. I sprayed it silver then used my glue gun to embellish all of my mother in laws vintage clip on earrings to it.


Lastly, the bead board ceiling and crown molding add character and charm to her room.


You can take your sunglasses off now :)

Take care,
Lisas

23 comments:

  1. Love the room before, but love it more after..so girlie! Better not show my girls this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colour combinations - it really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lisa, that is just adorable! i love all the lively colors in there and the bedding is fabulous! i finally got to writing about you and your wonderful blog yesterday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this not the coolest girl's room ... EVER? Seriously, Sam must be the most popular girl in town b/c she has the space that everyone wants to hang out in! I love what you've done with the vanity that has been passed down through the family. With a little paint, any piece can be updated to fit into any decor. This room is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both versions of the room...they are so fun and girly! I think my favorite thing is the beadboard ceiling! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! The more girly girly, the better! GREAT make-over :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it...especially the crowns! WOW! They are beautiful! I'm stopping by from the Cozy little house to say WELCOME! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm here by the way of Brenda as well. Very cute kids rooms. So sorry about your blog. That's scary. I would be lost. Thanks for sharing this information,

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun, gosh, everything you did, was like on the super cheap, wow, the room looks like a million bucks. You are one heck of a deal finder, and diyer. Awesome job, and the only thing was the walls for me, a bit too loud, OTHER than that, EVERYTHING else was incredibly awesome, especially that little vanity. So beautiful.

    Come link up girl @ **Amaze me August**

    http://bellabeforeandafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, as always! I love all the colors and that you were able to re-purpose so much and still come out with a great space! So glad Sami is happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky 10 year old, with a very cool mom!
    Theresa
    aka:tot

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks great Lisa! What an awesome mom your daughter has :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a darling room -- such great ideas. I'm your newest follower. I would LOVE for you to visit me and follow in return!
    (((((((hugs))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read your post about your blog. I am so very sorry that you lost your blog. That would be devastating. Thank you for sharing your information with us and I am now going to back up my blog. Well -- I'm glad that I discovered you NOW and so now I will be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so stinkin' cute! I love the pink (: And I have a daybed like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it Lisa!!! What a great fun girly room!! I love the pink- perfect! Thanks for sharing this at my party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter would adore this room. She has a very pink room too and it has stripes of many colors on the bottom. She is itching to change it but we'll see how that comes about.
    thanks for participating in my giveaway- here is to 2011 bringing many more creative projects your way.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both rooms were (are) gorgeous! You did so many things to make it so special! Lucky little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That is amazing! I love the pillows on the bed and the tulle bedskirt is WONDERFUL. I'm definitely looking into that for my own daughters room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that's a room any little girl would love. There are sooo many cute details. I'm sure Samantha is crazy about it.

    Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to having you join me each week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. The photo frame is really nice and only a dollar? You find fantastic deals. I love the red color paint for the walls. It's a great shade of red for a girl's room.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

shinarmountaindesign@gmail.com